Your Step-by-Step Guide for Activating S/4HANA Fiori Apps on Your New SAP System
At iSSi, we specialize in SAP system architecture and integration between SAP and enterprise applications. In the countless projects we’ve worked on over the years, we’ve seen and experienced firsthand the many challenges and obstacles of rolling out new technologies and updating existing systems. Through this blog, we share what we’ve learned through these experiences so hopefully, it’ll make it easier for other organizations that may be facing the same struggles.
Activating S/4HANA Fiori apps can be cumbersome and we know that for many teams, it took several attempts before getting it right. That’s why we created this comprehensive step-by-step guide. We hope this helps you seamlessly and efficiently implement and integrate Fiori apps with your new SAP system. Let’s get started:
- Navigate to https://fioriappslibrary.hana.ondemand.com/.
- Scroll down to the section listed “Fiori Apps for SAP S4/HANA” -> “All Apps”.
- Choose any of the apps here.
- Click the “Implementation Information” tab.
- Make sure you click the dropdown menu and select your version of Fiori.
- This can be found if you open your SAP GUI Status menu.
Check your products as shown below.
Our product version is 1709 FPS 2 as shown in the next window for the S4CORE component.
- Go back to the Fiori Apps webpage.
- Click the “Installation Tab”.
- Double check that you have the correct component versions for other required components and upgrade your system if necessary
- Open the “Configuration” tab
- Activate the ICF services in the “SICF” transaction, and also the OData services in the “/iwfnd/maint_service”
Activate Services in Transaction SICF
- Enter the technical name from the webpage into this input field and click.
- Right click the lowest level of the node tree (in this case “Interop”) and click “Activate Service” if it hasn’t been activated yet.
- Put the changes in a transport, and you are finished!
Activate Gateway OData Services
- Enter transaction /iwfnd/maint_service
- Click “Add Service”.
- You will need a System Alias configured. Check with some configuration guides or your BASIS team if you’re not familiar with this. Our system is configured as “LOCAL” in this case.
- Insert the Technical Service name from the Fiori Apps library into the appropriate field and click enter.
- Select the appropriate OData service and click “Add Selected Services”.
- Make sure to assign this to the appropriate package and transport, and click ok.
What happens if I can’t see my apps?
Generally one of two things can be happening here.
1. The correct supplemental OData services required to be activated weren’t documented in SAP’s original list. This is more common than you might think, but can be quickly solved if you have a patient eye and can look through the code inspector in Firefox/Chrome.
Enter your browser of choice, right click somewhere on the page and click “Inspect”. Make sure to look closely for any red text found in the “Network” tab. This will generally show an OData service that still needs to be activated. Check out the previous section for more information on how to find and activate those.
2. Your user does not have the correct roles required to view the catalogs and tilegroups that show the correct application. Review the documentation and add those roles to your user in the “PFCG” or “SU01” transaction.
There you have it – a complete guide to activating S/4HANA Fiori Apps on a new SAP system. If you have any further questions or need help executing your SAP implementations, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us directly. Our dedicated teams with specialized expertise have delivered numerous successful implementations.
Do you have any tips on how to navigate the world of Fiori? If so, please leave us a comment!
Thomas Rautenbach, Architect
Thomas Rautenbach has over 20 years of diverse systems experience with a strong focus on system and integration architecture and software design and development. He has detailed technical, functional and system knowledge across the SAP technology platform, including extensive experience with the Finance, Supply Chain, Sales and Distribution, and Human Resources modules.
Connect with Thomas on LinkedIn
Follow iSSi on LinkedIn